Francescas - Lialores : 8 milesHere you may find some hotels, restaurants and gite in the region
Contacts and informations:
05 62 28 35 02 ou 06 81 13 84 35
Lialores is a charming little village located 10 kilometers north of Condom on the road to Agen on one of the rolling hills betwwen Francescas and Condom, to which this hamlet is attached since 1839.
If the unity of style is not an architectural rule, his share of romance remains remarkable. The original should be dated from the twelfth century.
Located in eastern limit of this small border village between the Gers and the Lot and Garonne, this church has a steeple on the front triangular wall Western Gothic portal opens where once painted red ocher. On the left-turn staircase leads to the Renaissance tower. It is especially note some remarkable architectural details ensuring the assembly of different styles.
Inside, a splendid romanesque chancel arch with ass furnace arches indiscriminate columns ... All very well preserved or restored.
The church of St. Anthony of Lialores, where the relics of the saint who gave his name, are still remaining. It is a very large building with three naves, an apse, two chapels and without transept. This is the type, copied from the ancient basilica, which is found at Nogaro and Montaut (Gers).A Lialores, rural parish in the town of Condom, the church is, in his magnum opus, the twelfth century, built by Benedictine monks settled in this parish in an unknown date, the monastery still existed in 1420. It's an interesting specimen the Romanesque in the Gers. It is a monastic building and still a famous place of pilgrimage.
St. Anthony of Lialores
Here are some elements borrowed from the monograph published anonymously in 1882 in Auch in favor of restoring the church Lialores and deposited in a showcase of the church:
Saint-Antoine, who received the nickname Lialore where his relics were hoisted, was born in the city of Agen, probably in 470. His family was noble and rich. He began by being a soldier, but soon he kissed the hermit's life to escape the contagion of the Arian heresy. His parents sought a long time and finally meet him. Touched by pain and yielding to the irresistible attraction of his heart, he consented to return for some time with them in the city of Agen, but the world itself weighed. He retired again in Lomagne, where the splendor of his virtues did soon found and reserched. In order to escape the honors and regarding the new and pressing demands of his parents, he returned again in Agen.
Arians are triumphant ... Attracted by the reputation of sanctity that preceded him, the Orthodox Agen came to him, bringing him a paralytic woman begging him to heal in the name of Jesus Christ, true God and true son of God . Anthony begged a few moments and, invoking the name of Jesus, he gave movement and life to the legs and arms of the patient .
It also freed many possessed by the devil. Christians gave to these miracles as proof of Aryan divinity of Christ, but the ministers Olaric (Alaric II, king of the Visigoths from 484 to 507) did put Antoine under arrest after having unsuccessfully tried to move him by promises and threats, they inflicted to him the most more cruel tortures. The glorious athlete died under the lash. His relics were removed for liamores in the diocese of Condom and they are still in great veneration.
It is impossible to tell under which circumstances the martyr's body was transported to Lialores. The legend says, that the Saint's head, decapitated at Agen, would did come in a jump in this village, indicating the place of his tomb. But it is more serious to prefer to think that the pious, after living some time in this corner of pénilence, has expressed a desire to be buried. Anyway, once the remains of Anthony was transported to these places, the many miracles, which are becoming very frequent, attracted large crowds around his grave. They came from distant countries .
A ll kinds of diseases, both spiritually and equipment that were cured with the tombs of Antoine de Lialores.
The number of pilgrims Liatores becoming increasingly significant, the son of Saint-Benoit, established in Condom since the beginning of the eleventh century (1011), some religious délachèrent latter Abbey and sent them to found a convent. They had to maintain and enhance the worship in the area of the holy martyr.
The relics of St. Anthony
The barns of LialoresIn these old barns are presented on the ground floor of the tools and objects used in the past. They are the witness of an ancient culture face a rampant modernism. In the right to stage exhibitions tempraires: currently
Francescas - Vicnau : 7 miles
Don't miss Vicnau, a charming hamlet between the rolling hills of Francescas, known since 1279
Only a few steps you go find Vicnau and his church.
The origin of the parish church of Vicnau is unknown to us, we can say without fear of error that it islost in the mists of time. His name Vicus Novus Bignau in patois, we revealed a Gallo-Roman times. Everyone knows that vicus signiffait first street, a neighborhood. Later, they gave this name to the villages and towns, as well as country houses that were attached to each other on major roads, so that being built up on both sides of the road, they formed a street-like those cities. At the time of the Roman invasion of Gaul in the various races who occupied this country is characterized by their dialects parliculiers, but the substance of their language was Celtic or Iberian, and only after the Roman conquest of that Latin names were given to cities that already exist or which were formed later.
Château de Plieux
On the road to Condom, about 400 yards on the left hand you will see appear a big tower, a donjon, you're near the castle of Plieux, an important medieval manor.
This castle is inhabited, only the witness to a glorious past.
Terms & Conditions |Links | Homepage
e-mail City Hall of Francescas 2010 -
all rights reserved
Conception et maintenance : e-kommunikation.com
All materials on this website © City Hall of Francesas .
Photographs courtesy of e-kommunikation.com ©