loge de la bastide francescas

History had to wait for 1025 to see appearing the appelation "Seignory of Franciscano". This seignory should be given to Saint-Pierre of Condom by Hughes, Evêque d' Agen,
hereditary Duke of Gacogne.

Condom was not established as diocese yet, for the moment the abbots are lords of Francescas. Therefore there must have been a church in the agglomeration and farmlands, which were dependent.

In 1163, the donnation below is confirmed by a bull of the pope Alexander III in these terms: "ECLESIAM OF FRANCISCANO AND VILLAM COM LOCAL TRAIN AM APPENDITISII"

In 1226, major repairs were done in the church by the abbots of Condom.

In 1264, they find the first mention of a bailliage in Francescas.

A bastide is new strengthened village or a new city encircle with a surrounding wall pierced by doors, with a central place encircled with arcades, defended and protected by moats.

In 1286, Philippe le Bel is King of France. The bishop of the Abbeye de Condom recognized to hold as noble fief of the King of England Edward I the " Castrum " of Francescas, Juridictionnem and ground cum on am pertinentiis", November 16th, 1286.

November 14th, 1286, Knight Geraud de Madirac recognized, to take after the same
King of England all lands and grapevines which he has in jurisdiction of
Francescas and declares to owe a serving of weapon when the noblemen and others of the Country meet in army.

Raymond de Fraulens, inhabitant of Francescas recognized, to take after the same King of England, Edward 1st any "affarium" or property given duty-free called to " del giestar " and declares to owe a serving of weapon when the noblemen and others of the Country meet in army.

Lord Bertrand de Saumont, knight,recognized that same day, November 14th, 1286, all that he has in the honour of Francescas, and declares to have to give for it a serving of weapon with the Lord of Saint-Barthelemy-de-Trillan.

The year 1286 is admitted by all historians for the creation of the bastide of Francescas by the fact that Francescas has already been the seat of a bailliage for more than twenty years (1264) by the fact of recognition above name; it seems to be sure that Edward 1st of England was only improving the already existent buildings, establishing the wall of surrounding walls and his moat, creating the central place and place settings, undoubtedly a market hall.

Francescas appears in the list of the villages which claims in July, 1315 the letters of Edward, King of England, ordering them to have faith in what would say to them Alberic de Creon, Seneschal of Gascony, the Sire d' Ambret, the knight de Benstede and the clerk Thomas of Cambridge.

In August 13th, 1317, Raymond de Galard, abbot should be elected by the monks for first bishop. They took over the diocese from Agen, from which the abbey was dependent, the bailliage of Besides Garonne and all countries located in the South of the river, of whom the bailliage of Francescas.

In 1318, Francescas is annexed to the crown of England.

The King of England thanks the city of Francescas of defending his party in 1340.
It is in 1396, during the call of the lords Gascons to the King de France against the Prince of Wales, that Charles V made donnation to the count d' Armagnac of various lands and seigniories, including the city of Francescas.

15th century is poor in archives.
One single date is interesting. It is in 1439, under the reign of Charles VII, that the count of Hostington left Claret at the head of 1500 english soldiers and pushed his conquests to Francescas and Lamontjoie, which he took over.

Francescas became sometimes English, then French and once again English. In the middle of the 16th century, the wars,named religion wars,are going to put Francescas in the middle of battles and in spite of efforts to spare the city, this one has to suffer damage and fights.

As temporal Lord of Francescas, Jean de Marren, bishop of Condom, made big repairs in the church and at home episcopal (Home of La Hire), which should not be a Castle, no resident Lord is ever signalled, but a strong home, some relics of this time remain even today.

In 1507, there was as chaplain general Erard de Grossoles, general of the famous home of Flamarens, which had Seigniories of Buzet and Montastruc in the Gers, and he also accepted from the prelate the Abbey of Simorre.

The pure and simple donation of Francescas to the monastery of Saint-Pierre of Condom by the Dukes of Gascony makes understand, that the Seigniory of Francescas and its citizens and the church depended exclusively of the Evêché de Condom.

The new prelate entered the city of Francescas in 1526. Writings relating to jobs of the church certified, which has been found, that this one was encircled with pits, and its bell tower endowed with murder-holes was therefore part of the surrounding wall.
We are in this epoch of the religion war, with their processions of destruction and other acts of violence. Montluc for the Catholics and Montgommery for the protestant reformers were the main war leaders.

It seems, that for local reasons, Francescas tried to stay out of this war, hoping undoubtedly to avoid in the city consequences of battles and of pillage. They knew however, that the preacher Merlet was very active and therefore that Francescains was inclined towards re-forms with all the consequences.
Montgommery occupied Condom since October 22nd, 1567, he took over Mezin,
Romieu, Francescas, Mauvezin, Lavardac and Laplume, which he ransacked. At this time Montluc imposed to the beneficiary of the jurisdiction of Francescas a contribution for the maintenance of the town and named the Mr Dupuy governor de Francescas. The doors of the city were alternately opened or closed and they were protected by soldiers.
A gift was sent to Montluc and he was ivited when he passed by. Francescas had become again Catholic.

The Prince and the princess de Navarre being in Nérac, and in order to prevent any surprise, doors were closed and it was recommended everybody to be his own guard.

Knowing the poverty of the city, the consuls sent two messengers to Agen to ask Montluc to relieve them of the accommodation of people of war. The permission should be granted by Montluc as well as to repair church, expenses being done of five hundred pounds, which had been collected from the reformers, Agenais always occupied and criss-crossed by Protestant bands, who continued their éxations.

On May 14th, 1576, the men of the Sieur du Saumont took over Francescas and ransacked it. The Sieur du Saumont has eight men and imposed the city for three hundred ecus. They put in auction that fiefs, wood, moors, sales and they bailliages, which belonged in the past to the Evêque de Condom, to pay the taxation.

On August 2nd, 1576, the king de Navarre asked the consuls to sell him some oaks to repair the Castle of Nérac and the mill, which it had on the Baïse.

November 26th, 1576, the king de Navarre, begged by the Franciscains, let a garnison in order to defend the city there.

On October 28th, 1576, the consuls called jurats and in impotence to support a trial against Lasserre, they gave up all their rights to the king de Navarre, who accepted. Later they negociated with the King of Navarre an arrangement about the rights of justice.

I n July 30th, 1577, the garnison of Agen had been reinforced and Francescas was threatened by a Catholic band.

On January 23rd, 1579, Henry III named Sir de Allem de Bregand as royal judge of Francescas.

In 1580, Biron's Marshal, which came to Nérac, delivered battle to Francescas. It is necessary to name the acquisition during the same year by Jean Paul Esparbes de Lussan de la Seigneurie de Francescas, which gave to him the bishop of Condom. Désparbes, count de Lasserre, marquis d' Aubeterre had big problems with the inhabitants of Francescas, who accused him for many humiliations.
There was in the Seignory of Francescas a parish of the Church of St Barthelemy de Trillan, a residence or Castle, which belonged to the family Bezolles under last Valois.

In 1601, nobleman Jean de Bezolles, Lord of St Barthelemy and lady Suzanne de Patras de Campaigno, merried in the Castle of St Barthelemy in the village of Francescas, their daughter Honoured with Bézolles, by act of March 11th, 1601 with Charles de Bazon, Gentilhomme de la Chambre of the queen Margaret de Valois.


On July 9th, 1634, Francois de Bazon, born in this alliance, is married to Suzanne de Bonnet of the Tuque. Their son Charles and their grandson Francois II of Bazon were all three successively: Baron de Beaulens and Seigneur de Saint Bartelemy.

In 1624, a market was taken for the reconstruction of a bell tower to the church of Francescas; Bernard Marcon and David, masters bricklayers promise to construct this clock tower which will have twelve and a half high canes and costs 1750 pound.

In the same period, decision is made by the generaux chaplains of Condom to fix the quantity of money which has to be taken to make a distribution to the poor people. Three thousand pounds were spend by of the parish of Francescas.

In 1634, of Esparbes, counts de Lasserre, marquis d' Aubeterre had big troubles with the inhabitants of Francescas, which reproached him many humiliations, notably for appropriating right to impose consuls on their land and their places and to make them pay to protect the home of their Lord.

By the oppression of the lords and the resistence of the inhabitants, there came a sort of city war to Francescas, about which we produce the following document: "Certificate on the escalation of the city of Francescas May 24th, 1634 compromises of fifty men".

6 march 1635, Pierre de Cos, Sieur of Small town of the village of Fieux is named royal judge of Francescas by letter licences given from Paris. On July 12th of the same year, he requests two notaries of Fieux and Francescas to make him a copy collated on the original of the supplies of the service of royal judge in favour of Francescas given to Paris on January 23rd, 1579 in favour of Allem de Bregaud, first royal judge of Francescas.

A Sir de Bigos was royal judge. After him, three misters de Bazignan, Menard, Joseph, Menard II, son and grandson, every three described to be noble and écuyeurs, and were successively royal judges of the same city.

Jacques Lartiques, named royal judge of Francescas October 29th, 1767, dies in 1779; his elder son Jacques de Lartiques fills functions of royal judge of 1779 until the revolution.

By 1660, Madam d' Aubeterre, nun of the convent of Chaplet of Agen, makes demands to found in Francescas a convent of her order.

On the first of December, 1710, my Lord Francois II of Bazon, baron de Beaulens, sells the Castle, the chapel, the poultry-yard etc called the St. Barthélemy with auspices, leases and right of burial to the Chapel Our Lady of the Charity in the church of Francescas.

Two acquereurs are:

- on one hand Jean de Cos, Lord of St Orens, called "Lou Croutze", the crusader in francais, because he had been part of the first knights of St Louis, created by Louis IX. He was also ancient corporal of the bodyguards of the King in the company of the marshal duke de Boufflers, in which he had served during 30 years from 1677 till 1707.

- on the other hand, his brother Louis de Cos, Sieur de Saint Orens and from Teoulère.
They were threads, one and the other of the nobleman Jean Francois du Cos Mr of Small town, mentioned as royal judge under Louis XIII.

It is by the descendance of Louis du Cos that we arrive at the family of Clairin, which we will find later in the local business of Francescas.

In 1787, my Lord Philippe Dijon, Knight, baron de Monteton was count de Lasserre and
Co-lord of the city and jurisdiction of Francescas.

It will be the last one.

The Royal jurisdiction ended with the proclamation of Republique 17. January, 1790.
France is then divided into 83 departments.

18 germinal a year III (April 7th, 1795), the pound changes his the name to the Franc; from this date, the accounting documents will be most often written in Franc.

There was no more any Seignory after this division and here is the village of Francescas, canton of the arrondissement of Nérac, department of Lot and Garonne.
Francescas leaves definitely the influence of Condom, the village depends administratively to Nérac, while until this date, we had only episodic relations with this city, it never formed a religious entity.
From now, Francescas will depend of the jurisdiction in the north of Garonne, while until there, Francescas was depending in the South of Gascony.
With the disappearance of jurisdiction, the zone of influence became less important..
Francescas enters in the 19th century without having suffered to much during this period of big changes.
A village,which has as historical sources only the archvies departmental of the Lot and Garonne from this date, and some notebooks of deliberation of the Town council from Francescas.

In 1800, the area and the borders of the village seems corresponding to the current borders, as the bordering villages haven't changed theirs since the french revolution..
regarding the population, it is possible to estimate it between 1300 and 1500 inhabitants.

Rather amazing observation, the village is shared in two:
Francescas of the raising and Francescas of the dawning, separated probably by the road of Moncaut to Condom, who in this epoch still not was as today.
There were two Councils Local elections distinct, meeting at the same time, but deliberating separately by signing the register together.
This originality lets assume an effort of enorme synthesis, or the domination of one Town council against the other one..

Following one to one all déliberations of Town councils
from this huits first years da communal life (1803-1811), it is possible to have an idea of the evolution of the concerns of the Franciscans.
The problem of conferment, which is never resolu. The water which remains a subject of permanent attention. The maintenance of batiments, the obvious lack of resources are real worries of these citizens, who tastes the freedom the first time.
These citizens, who were born free and equal, with the right of free expression, as everywhere in France, realise, that been an idea and the reality will be always some difference that it is necessary to fit.
It is possible to think that these representatives, that they are elected or indicated, have to keep the good of the public and worries of the good of all population.
This allows Francescas and his inhabitants to follow evolution and progress, which is going to manifest itself soon and more and more quickly.
To avoid a too tiring list, this recit is going to make a jump of some years until 1840.

On May 6th, 1842: study for the building of a city council, of a courtroom and of a school for children

On May 7th, 1843: study for the building of a police station. The policemen came from Mezin on horseback!

On May 19th, 1879: pose of the clock in the bell tower by M.PLANTE

On August 8th, 1850: plantations of trees in the avenues of Francescas

On September 30th, 1859: 21 000-franc loan for jobs in the church and reconstruction of the parsonage (Presbytery).

Other subjects - the school: education is going to become compulsory; a state school capable is therefore needed of accepting all children of the village.
The building is accomplished in 1882.
In 1906, an election took place and Armand Mène is elected as Town Major.

War 1914 - on 1918
Francescas, as all other villages of France, paid a heavy tribute
in the dreadful storm of war, said first world war.
Thirty-four names are forever engraved on the monument established in their memory.

In 1931: the electrification is finished.

The war of 39-45

On January 26th, 1947: purchase of sports fields




Terms & Conditions |Links | Homepage |Site Map
e-mailCity Hall of Francescas 2010 -
all rights reserved
Conception et maintenance
: e-kommunikation.com

All materials on this website © City Hall of Francesas
Photographs courtesy of e-kommunikation.com ©